The day after the Christmas holidays end, for most of us culminating with New Year's, always seems like a big letdown. I mean really, after all of the hustle and bustle, the excitement of the preparations and the end of the fun as Christmas departs and the new year arrives forces us to face the reality of cold January where all the bright lights and cheer end and routine returns with its often monotonous results. But it need not be that way. We can and should use the excitement, the good will and the joy of the birth of our Savior as a starting point for going forward with energy and drive to keep the Christmas Spirit alive and see the coming of the new year as a time to mark as a clean slate of time to drive us to bigger and better things. It's just all in how we set our mind and on what we use to drive the things we do. If we give it to God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, we can use His power and grace to finally review who and what we are and what we can do to change outcomes by starting fresh and renewed in our faith and devotion to He who made us.
So in this regard I propose to make a wish list for those things that I would like to see either begin or return to our fair nation, always centering them on our Savior's wishes for us. I will just provide a listing here, but I want to take that list and elaborate on them in the form of New Year's Resolutions that I will use to remind me every day of what needs to be done. By so doing, I will be able to set my personal goals to carry forth in 2021. I hope each of you might consider doing something similar. They may be different in particulars but hopefully they will all incorporate the love of Christ. By making it a wish list instead of an old fashioned resolution, it allows us to focus on where we want to find ourselves as a society from which we individuals can determine ways to help society reach that level. Here's my "starting point wish list" for the coming year:
1. I WISH FOR those among us who claim to be Christians to truly activate their belief in their lives and live for Jesus.
2. I WISH FOR each of us Christians to truly live as Disciples of Christ and actively work to increase our numbers in America through our thoughts, words and action.
3. I WISH FOR an end to the reliance on government as a father influence, allowing us to make most decisions about our life independently and with guidance from the Real Father above.
4. I WISH FOR all of us to show love and compassion for our fellow man as the Lord demands.
5. I WISH FOR each of us to truly stay connected with God through regular and repetitive prayer, Bible reading and attendance at church.
6. I WISH FOR Americans to study the issues concerning politics and candidates and educate themselves to make wise choices for public office.
7. I WISH FOR each of us to support policies that invoke God and seek His guidance in all that our government does, but with added emphasis to appropriately deal with those nations who want to destroy us.
8. I WISH FOR America to fully support the existence and strength of the State of Israel, the Land of Abraham, as God's Chosen People and to insist on that State being allowed to remain as a fully independent entity with the ability to defend herself.
9. I WISH FOR America to be returned to a government of laws and not men.
10. I WISH FOR our country to use our military resources wisely and not send our finest into harm's way without a fully discussed and established plan of action to meet our national objectives with minimal loss of life.
As you can see, this wish list is a mix of individual and group things with much overlap. There are many more things that can be included since there is no limit. The point is, however, to focus on some things to work for next year that can be a point for review at the end of the upcoming year. None of this is easy and it requires each of us to think, but in so doing hopefully we can look back later and see that our thoughts, words and actions do have meaning and can play a part in saving this great nation of ours.
I look forward to considering my wishes over the next few days and preparing my resolutions therefrom. I hope each of you will do the same. Thoughtful deliberations about the direction we want for our nation are critical right now and we each will only have influence if we take the time to decide what it is we hope to see.
God bless you each and every one and enjoy time with family and friends as this festive holiday period continues. Love our God and enjoy your day.