It need not be that way. We can and should use the excitement, the good will and the joy of the birth of our Savior as a starting point for going forward with energy and drive to keep the Christmas Spirit alive. The Christmas Spirit represents the Spirit of our Lord and Savior, and it should be the driving force behind all that we do.
So in this regard I propose to make a wish list for those things that I would like to see either begin or return to our fair nation, always centering them on our Savior's wishes for us. I will just provide a listing here, but I want to take that list and elaborate on them in the form of New Year's Resolutions that I will publish on New Year's Day. By so doing, I will be able to set my personal goals to carry forth in 2014. I hope each of you might consider doing something similar. They may be different in particulars but hopefully they will all incorporate the love of Christ. Here's my "starting point wish list" for the coming year:
1. I WISH FOR those among us who claim to be Christians to truly activate their belief in their lives and live for Jesus.
2. I WISH FOR each of us Christians to truly live as Disciples of Christ and actively work to increase our numbers in America through our thoughts, words and action.
3. I WISH FOR an end to the reliance on government as a father influence, allowing us to make most decisions about our life independently and with guidance from the Real Father above.
4. I WISH FOR all of us to show love and compassion for our fellow man as the Lord demands.
5. I WISH FOR each of us to truly stay connected with God through regular and repetitive prayer, Bible reading and attendance at church.
6. I WISH FOR Americans to study the issues concerning politics and candidates and educate themselves to make wise choices for public office.
7. I WISH FOR each of us to support policies that invoke God and seek His guidance in all that our government does, but with added emphasis to appropriately deal with those nations who want to destroy us.
8. I WISH FOR America to fully support the existence and strength of the State of Israel, the Land of Abraham, as God's Chosen People and to insist on that State being allowed to remain as a fully independent entity with the ability to defend herself.
9. I WISH FOR America to be returned to a government of laws and not men.
10. I WISH FOR our country to use our military resources wisely and not send our finest into harm's way without a fully discussed and established plan of action to meet our national objectives with minimal loss of life.
As you can see, this wish list is a mix of individual and group things with much overlap. There are many more things that can be included since there is no limit. The point is, however, to focus on some things to work for next year that can be a point for review at the end of the upcoming year. None of this is easy and it requires each of us to think, but in so doing hopefully we can look back later and see that our thoughts, words and actions do have meaning and can play a part in saving this great nation of ours.
I look forward to considering my wishes over the next few days and preparing my resolutions. I hope each of you will do the same. Thoughtful deliberations about the direction we want for our nation are critical right now and we each will only have influence if we take the time to decide what it is we hope to see.
God bless you each and every one and enjoy time with family and friends as this festive holiday period continues. Love our God and enjoy your day.