The only issue that gave me some concern was in the immigration area. My concern is that the legalization of those who entered the country and stayed illegally, if done first, will open the possibility of a repeat of what happened to Ronald Reagan back in 1986. The Democrats got their big wish and then the security aspects designed to protect the border never materialized. It's what got us in the mess where we find ourselves and we can't afford to do that again. The President has to make sure that security, including the Wall, are a primary upfront requirement so that a later Congress or President can't violate the nation's trust.
Following are a few of the highlights of what the President's loyal opposition displayed and how they offer Trump and the Republicans some wonderful material for future political campaign ad content. But first, it's important to put what was seen in a nutshell and it's this: Republicans clapped, jumped on their feet and cheered while the Democrats sat sullen, angry and silent or on occasion booing, even when the President discussed important positive things that are both accurate and good for all Americans and Americans watching noticed. Seventy-five percent of those who tuned in said the speech was good and they liked it, including forty-two percent of Democrats. That is a huge number and Democrats need to understand that they have swung so far to the Left that even so of their long term voters have had enough. So, here are some of the specifics that were clearly displayed and which I think were disgraceful.
1. Nancy Pelosi. The leader of the minority in the House of Representatives looked dazed and frowned throughout. I've never seen a party leader, one who used to be Speaker of the House, behave in such a bad way. But, of late, her left wing views have been ramped up in vitriol to the point where she has trouble making a clear statement. It's as if she is consumed by hate. Her recent commentary where she said that Trump was trying to "Make America White Again" clearly supports my view. but no, Nancy, Trump wants to "Make America Great Again" by undoing the things that were done to bring the nation down.
2. When the President mentioned that the black unemployment rate was at the lowest point in history today, the entire Congressional Black Caucus sat stone-faced and silent. It was as if they want black Americans to be unemployed since it affords them a continued excuse for race baiting in all that they do.
3. Congressman Luis Gutierrez of Illinois, the leader of the "open borders at any cost brigade," had a complete meltdown. When the majority party started chanting "USA, USA," Gutierrez could hold himself down no longer, stomping out of the chamber in an angry huff. Why would a chant supporting the country they represent upset him so?
4. Trump used "we" one hundred and twenty nine times, "our" one hundred and four times and "I" only twenty nine times. Contrast that with the former President at a typical State of the Union speech he made and it is striking. It was clear that Trump sees himself as a President of the people who is an elected leader, not a ruler who, once elected, feels free to inflict his dogma with no other options considered.
5. Not a single Democrat rose at any time to the mention of God, as in a nation under God, the flag or national anthem or veterans, to name a few. It is obvious that the current crop of citizens and all that they do is of secondary, if any, concern. These are not the Democrats that I grew up with and knew and what they represent is clearly alien to the general American citizen.
Now that was just a short listing of some of the negativity which was glowing from the Democratic side of the aisle and it begs this very important question. Will they be willing to work with Trump via compromise? I really don't think so and that may be a reason why Trump offered them a compromise, which he clearly did in his draft immigration plan. He has shown a willingness to do so by the very nature of the offer, but by their display last night they clearly showed that they have no interest in compromise and now it's been shown for all to see on national TV. They've been "trumped" again, yet they don't know it yet.
Don't be surprised if you see some of the snippets on video in Republican campaign ads in the 2018 off year elections and in the 2020 Presidential cycle. They truly offer a treasure trove of options and the Republicans would be silly not to take advantage of it. And it's not that the Republicans have all the answers for no one does. But after last night's speech and the Democrats' sad display, I am sure most Americans get it and they now know that the Trump team is not made up of extremists. That terminology clearly applies to the current direction of the Democratic Party. It doesn't inspire, it doesn't want to solve problems and it clearly doesn't think much of the America I love. I am very confident in saying that it is now becoming clear that a solid working majority of Americans agree with my assessment.
I hope things will change in their outlook but I don't expect they will. So, instead of wishing for what we may never see, let's Make America Great Again without the Democrats if that's what it takes. God bless America and may she ever be free.